The Yankees make their first visit to Baltimore to face the struggling Orioles, who have started the season at a disappointing 3-16. The Orioles entered the season amid a swirl of unusual optimism thanks to promising young players such as Matt Weiters, Adam Jones, Nick Markakis and Brain Matusz, but have been felled by a struggling offense and abysmal bullpen that has blown 5 saves and lost 6 games.
Coming off one of the best starts of his career, Phil Hughes hopes to add to the Orioles misery. If Hughes can establish his fastball early in the game, he should have another strong start. With the way the Yankee lineup has hit Orioles starter Kevin Millwood, Hughes should also be able to rely on plenty of run support. Despite a 0-3 record, Millwood has actually pitched well, but he can’t like some of the matchups he will encounter tonight. In total, the Yankees’ lineup has an astonishing line of .345/.406/.602 in 192 PAs. There are lusty batting averages up and down the lineup, but Randy Winn’s .611 at the bottom of the order stands out the most. With Nick Swisher taking over the DH slot from the still ailing Nick Johnson, the outfield of Winn, Granderson and Gardner represents the Yankees’ best defensive alignment.
|vs. Kevin Millwood||PA||BA||OBP||SLG||HR||RBI|
|Derek Jeter SS||28||0.320||0.370||0.480||0||2|
|Brett Gardner LF||6||0.400||0.400||0.400||0||0|
|Mark Teixeira 1B||14||0.308||0.357||0.615||1||1|
|Alex Rodriguez 3B||23||0.429||0.478||0.619||1||2|
|Robinson Cano 2B||18||0.333||0.333||0.500||1||3|
|Jorge Posada C||17||0.214||0.353||0.429||1||2|
|Curtis Granderson CF||33||0.214||0.333||0.464||1||3|
|Nick Swisher DH||35||0.345||0.457||0.724||3||7|
|Randy Winn RF||18||0.611||0.611||1.056||2||6|
|vs. Phil Hughes||PA||BA||OBP||SLG||HR||RBI|
|Adam Jones CF||8||0.500||0.500||1.125||1||3|
|Nick Markakis RF||15||0.429||0.467||0.571||0||3|
|Matt Wieters C||2||0.000||0.000||0.000||0||0|
|Miguel Tejada 3B||6||0.000||0.167||0.000||0||0|
|Luke Scott DH||7||0.571||0.571||0.714||0||1|
|Ty Wiggington 2B||4||0.250||0.250||1.000||1||2|
|Rhyne Hughes 1B||0||0.000||0.000||0.000||0||0|
|Nolan Reimold LF||3||0.000||0.333||0.000||0||0|
|Cesar Izturis SS||1||0.000||1.000||0.000||0||0|
|Yankees vs. Orioles|
|Season: 2010||Season: 2009||Season: 2008||All-Time|
|Tied:: 0-0||NYY: 13-5||NYY: 11-7||NYY: 1222-838|
- The Orioles are currently 0-6 at Camden Yards, their worst home losing streak to start a season since going 0-8 at Memorial Stadium in 1988.
- Arod remains one HR behind Frank Robinson on the all-time HR list, while Derek Jeter needs one 2B to pass Don Mattingly on the Yankee list.
Home Away From Home
- Derek Jeter has had 45 multi-hit games at Camden Yards, the most ever by a visiting player. He also has the most hits (140), doubles (25) and plate appearances (516).
- Alex Rodriquez has the most HRs (23) and RBIs (80) by a visiting player at Camden Yards.
- Nick Swisher has the highest OPS (1.220) by a visiting player at Camden Yards.