(In addition to appearing at The Captain’s Blog, this post is also being syndicated at TheYankeeAnalysts. It has also been updated from its initial publication on April 26, 2010).
Instead of worrying about who will fill out the starting rotation or occupy the backend of the bench, Yankees’ fans seeking to predict the team’s performance in 2011 might be better off considering who currently resides in the White House. Over the last 50 years, the Yankees have thrived under Democrat administrations, but come up empty when a Republican received his mail at1600 Pennsylvania. The Yankees last championship under the GOP dates all the way back to 1958, when Dwight Eisenhower was the commander in chief. Since then, all nine of the Yankees World Series victories have come with a Democrat leading the nation. I never like to mix politics and sports, but perhaps that’s something to keep in mind the next time you enter a polling booth during a presidential election.
Yankees Record by Political Party
Yankees Record by Presidential Administration
|George W. Bush||775||518||2||0.599||7048||5994||2||0|
|George H.W. Bush||288||359||0||0.445||2708||3064||0||0|
- Best Winning Percentage: Warren Harding (.638, from 1921 to August 2, 1923)
- Worst Winning Percentage: George HW Bush (.445, from 1989-1992)
- Most AL Pennants: Franklin Roosevelt (7, from 1933-1944)
- Most World Series Victories: Franklin Roosevelt (6, from 1933-1944)
- Best Season (By Win%): Calvin Coolidge (1927, 110-44)
- Worst Season (By Win%): William Taft (1912, 50-102-1)
- Best Run Differential: Franklin Roosevelt (1939, +2.70 runs/game)
- Worst Run Differential: Theodore Roosevelt (1908, -1.63 runs/game)
- Lyndon Johnson and Woodrow Wilson are the only two Democrats under whose administration the Yankees have not won a World Series. The Yankees have failed to win a championship under nine different Republican presidents.
- There have been three presidential successions during a Yankees season: McKinley to Roosevelt in 1901; Harding to Coolidge in 1923; and Nixon to Ford in 1974.
- Yankee pitchers have thrown eight no-hitters under a Democrat president and four no-hitters under a Republican.
- Yankee batters have hit for eight cycles under a Democrat president and seven cycles under a Republican.
- Of the Yankees five Cy Young award winners, three came under a Democrat president and two came under a Republican.
- Of the Yankees 20 MVPs, 11 came under a Democrat president and nine came under a Republican.